Thursday, February 23, 2006

Bars Quilt - in progress















I cut this quilt out on Friday night. And, no - I haven't spent all week chained to my sewing machine. Actually, some days I didn't anything except pin or iron. Anyway, this is as far as I've gotten with it - still have to add borders (one of them being pieced). I really want to finish this top within a week.

Sometimes people ask me how I get so much sewing done. I sew in segments. First, I cut everything out. Next, I make 1 block or piece the segments together and measure everything to make sure I don't have to adjust my seam allowance (I almost always have to adjust something - somewhere - so this step is worth the extra effort). Once I am sure it all fits together nicely, I pin all the pieces together. I pin. I know lots and lots of people don't pin, but I do. I can easily pin while waiting for dinner to be done, while sitting at the table while Little Boy colors or plays with playdough - whatever. Then, when I finally get around to putting the sewing machine on the dining room table to really sew - everything is all prepared. Then I put the sewing machine away - because chances are that we will need the table before I get to sewing again! Next - I will iron all those segments - again in a grabbed 10 minutes here or there and then it is back to the pinning routine. Depending on the quilt pattern - at some point in time everything needs to be measured again to make sure the next set of pieces are going to fit. All these little 10-15 minute segments add up. This quilt is taking a bit of extra time so I have been sewing a bit more at night after Little Boy is in bed than I usually do, but I try to get everything prepared for the sewing part at odd times during the day.

The pattern is Crossed Tracks from the book Save the Scraps by Gayle Bong. After I get the borders on I will write about what I think about the pattern - directions, techniques, etc. all that good stuff. So far, this is my husband's favorite quilt of the winter - I am liking it too. And just when I was celebrating using up the last of those dark Thimbleberries!!!
 Posted by Picasa

12 comments:

Patti said...

Really like the colors and scrappyness of this quilt. And the white lightens up all those dark colors - just what you were aiming for I imagine.

Inga said...

It's a lovely pattern and it will be a lovely quilt. Nice colours. I've decided that I normally should do something on at least one project, preferably three projects every day. I don't have to do much, make a block, quilt a thread or knit some rounds. In a week that sums up to quite a lot.

Inga

The Calico Cat said...

I have that quilt as a UFO! (BTW I sew the same way! I pieced a bed sized log cabin in two weeks using that method - minus the putting the sewing machine away bit...) My version has fussy cut trains as the small dark squares it will be a gift for my dad - a train FANATIC! My border is a novelty print of train tracks.

I love how yours turned out & can't wait to see the pieced border!

Darcie said...

It's great to hear how you grab bits of time here and there for your love of sewing and quilting.

Your quilt is looking quite striking! And I LOVE the orange/red plain. ONLY 4 YARDS??? LOL

tami said...

beautiful quilt. all the fabrics look so good together.

Laurie Ann said...

It is very nice! Isn't it cool when hubby specifically comments on a quilt. Like it really strikes his fancy? I have one at the quilters like that and so I'll put it on the couch so he can enjoy it too.

Samantha said...

evelyn, you are my hero! You are so organized!

This is a lovely quilt, BTW!

Anonymous said...

dang girl. You're getting tons done! Im so impressed (since I know about that grabbing time bit)

Kairle Oaks said...

Isn't it great when you have a system that works for you? Now that all of my kids are in school it's a lot easier to find time to sew. I should get off the computer and get back to it before they come home. ;-)
Kairle

Cathi said...

My secret pal just sent me that book and I liked this pattern. It is great to see someone doing a quilt with it. I love all those colors and am impressed with your found time. If only I could get myself more organized during the day with the girls... It can be done, I just need to do it!!

Debra Dee said...

What an awesome quilt. You really did a good job using scraps and the colors make it very interesting to look at. I can't wait to see the finished product. So sorry to hear about all the ripping. Wish I lived close enough to come over and help you.

Holly said...

Ooooooh.. I like this quilt alot. I love those dark Thimbleberry fabrics and your background fabric is pretty!