Monday, February 13, 2006

Eggenberg Castle



The next 2 photos are from inside the inner courtyard



The Austrian country side is dotted with many castles. This is Eggenberg Castle, which is in Graz and is the largest castle in the region of Styria. It was built in 1625 and has 365 windows. It is famous for its baroque architecture. I have only been here during the winter so have never been INSIDE the castle, although from looking at postcards - it does look beautiful! And, I am sure the grounds are absolutely lovely, but right now they are covered in snow. Oh well!
Anyway, Eggenberg Castle was our little outting on Sunday. It was fairly cold, but a walk was in order and I thought the castle would be a nice change of pace. It is just $1 per adult to walk the grounds... and what else can you do for $2? There are many peacocks on the castle grounds and Little Boy was thrilled with this peacock's display of feathers (see the moat behind the peacock - it goes all around the castle!).



On our way out, I snapped the photo below of the trees. DH asked what I was taking a photo of - there isn't much to see, but I thought it was nice - in a winter sort of way. It took us 45 minutes to get ready to go and we stayed for 45 minutes - all in all - a pretty good outing with a toddler! I hope you enjoyed my photo show.

10 comments:

Patti said...

What a beautiful place. Thanks for sharing!

Kairle Oaks said...

Thanks for the little picture tour. Sounds like you had a nice day.
Kairl

Marilyn said...

Oh, wow! I've actually been to that castle and I have a jigsaw puzzle with a picture of that castle. I'll have to pull out my photos, so I can share mine too. Thanks for the tour!

Marilyn

Cathi said...

I love the photos you do of the area...I should do some of Ireland at some point.

How did you come to winter in Austria and summer in Canada? Enquiring (nosy) minds want to know, LOL!!

Cathi in Ireland

PS-No...no nervous breakdown...my DJ quilt is safe!! I'm up at midnight doing the design work I do part time...off to bed now to start a new adventure in the morning...and I didn't even get to quilt :-( A mama's work is never done!!

Granny said...

Evelyn, I always love your photos! The scenery is fantastic and you're a good picture taker! :)

Judy L.

Laurie said...

WOW...amazing pics!
hugs
laurie

Anonymous said...

What wonderful photos! I went to Austrlia once on a European tour - it was my favourite place, along with Switzerland :-) The architecture is truly amazing.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh the pictures of the castle, peacock and trees were all wonderful! What a fun field trip for me on a cold winter day!

Passionate Quilter said...

How beautiful and sounded like a wonderful family outing day!

Unknown said...

Ciao a tutti, sono felice che vi piace, das SChloss Eggenberg!!! e la mia cita Graz.. si sono Austriaca, e vi assicura che il castello Rigersburg e anche Bellisimo da vedere !! un bacio da Anneliese