Thursday, March 23, 2006

Nooks and Crannies






















I like little nooks and crannies! Doesn't this look peaceful? This one was "created" this winter when we decided to do some renovations... Believe me, it looked anything BUT peaceful a little over a month ago...















Mmmm hummm - my little nook is on the other side of that doorway that has just been bricked over in this photo (far left). We also moved another doorway down - see the new brickover by the bathroom? Expanded the bathroom so it now is wider than the width of the toilet and has room for the stack washer and dryer, plus room for a hand sink (in Austria, it is very typical for the sink to be in the next room over where the tub or shower is!). We did some wall work in the living room that you can't see in this photo too. Oh yeah, AND we took down the wall between the kitchen and living room (which is why we could brick up that doorway in the first place - don't need a doorway if you take down an entire wall!) - anyway that would be the wire mess and uneven floors you can see... did I ever mention that walls over here are usually BRICK - makes renovations really fun (and a bit loud).

But, I have a peaceful little nook now!

11 comments:

Pam said...

Eveyln, Your nook/crannie is so pretty, nice and peaceful. Good job!! I will quit whining about my kitchen! Just seeing your completed nook/crannie has given me hope and I am once again dreaming of a finished project.

Laurie said...

Neat little nook Evelyn! Sure sounds like your renovations were a lot of work...but worth it! Love the bars quilt as well! PRETTY!
Hugs
Laurie

Mary Johnson said...

I can't imagine having to renovate in another country - it's hard enough getting work done at home.

I'm curious - how long have you been living between the two countries? Since you said you are a stay at home Mom I assumed that it was your husband's job that takes you back and forth. How will you handle it when your son becomes school age?

Vicky said...

Beautiful nook! I came from a long line of nooks & crannies! LOL! Your renovations look daunting, but the finished product is exquisite!

The Calico Cat said...

I totally LOVE nooks! & yours is great.

Finn said...

Wow evelyn, your little nook is sooo beautiful...but my, such a lot of work to get it to be there..*VBS* Bet its worth every minute of construction. It looks perfect...*S*

Samantha said...

that's a lot of craziness to get a peaceful nook, but it's very lovely!

Anonymous said...

I absolutely LOVE your new little corner. It looks so warm and inviting. There isn't a single nook or cranny in our house but we don't think we'll be here long enough to change things.

Cher said...

a peaceful end result...hope all the remodeling went as well as this turned out!

Darcie said...

Your nook, Evelyn, is delightful. So calm and inviting. Your home looks lovely...very comforting.

Seeing and hearing about your renovations in another country are quite interesting. Thanks for sharing!

Your Bars quilt is terrific! I cannot wait to see it quilted!

Jeanne said...

Remodeling is no fun while it's happeneing, but the results are worth it!
Jeanne :)