Thursday, March 09, 2006

Wonky House Block?















Hummm, well, not as wonky as some of the houses the rest of you guys are working on, but here is my first attempt following Tonya's wonky directions (can be found at www.quiltville.com - scroll down and click on Tonya's pages). It is 11.5" X 11.5". Much bigger than I was expecting when I started out with a few skinny 1.5" strips, but the big roof really made it grow in a hurry.

I was determined to use that black swirly fabric for the background even though I had just a few strips left over from the sashings on my Cot Quilt - so I pieced the strips together for the needed width. Not that I had any idea how big those pieces needed to be - I just kept adding to them as I went along. I had to piece the roof together with 3 different pieces of fabrics too.

It was fun! I think I see some more houses in my future, so I will have to add some good "sky" fabrics to that shopping list of mine. So, a special thanks to Cher for being the motivating factor in getting me started - I am swapping this house block with her for a magazine, and Tonya for the fun directions.


P.S. - scraps from 3 quilts from this winter - black swirls = cot quilt, red plaid = Crossed Tracks/bars quilt and the green, red stars and orange = cars & stars. Posted by Picasa

17 comments:

Cher said...

fun house...I had the same experience...bigger than I thought it would be at first. These are addicting! I do think that is a terrific background/sky!

Cathi said...

Looks fun! I am hoping to get started on the letters again for an alphabet quilt for my youngest DD, maybe I should throw in a wonky house or two to try them out!

Vicky said...

Love the wonky house! Great job on using up the scraps!

Laurie Ann said...

Really like that house! The black swirl pattern is really perfect for the sky. Good job!

Laurie said...

Evelyn,
Great pic of Little Boy in the snow! I just LOVED that! And your house block is adorable!
Hugs
Laurie

Finn said...

Me too..mine turned out bigger than I had throught it would when I cut the door and windows...LOL

I guess it's everybody's size, how ever that turns out!! I love your house, Evelyn, and I like the fact that it took scraps from 3 finished tops or quilts to get there...way to go! They are fun to make, kind of the no rules thing..*G*

Alena said...

Your wonky house is just gorgeous!
Lovely color combination, I am also planning to make one wonky houses quilt as one of our little friends is becoming three years old soon :o)
you are so productive!

Anonymous said...

Great block! I love the background and all the tiny windows :-) The first one I did was scarey, but after that it became much more fun to do and the more I did, the less worried I got LOL.

Pink and Barbara said...

What a cool house. Thanks for the tip I will have look at the quiltville site.

Samantha said...

The sky looks snowy behind this house- nifty! Go you for trying something new!

Jeanne said...

You could do all different dark blue and black skies, and end up with a night time village.

Quilts And Pieces said...

OOOO - I LOVE your wonky houses!

quiltpixie said...

your house brought a smile to me... they're fun aren't they? I rather enjoyed "saving" fabric bits by sewing a bunch together to get a big enough piece for lots I was doing.... The extra seams didn't seem to matter at all given the "wonky"

Helen in the UK said...

Love that block - great 'sky' fabric choice. I must get round to trying Tonya's letters, then I might be brave enough to try the houses!

Granny said...

Your house looks great! I can't wait to make some of those.

Judy L.

Passionate Quilter said...

cute house--that is one of the things on my list to do--I have the perfect quilt for it. Are you going to make a whole quilt of those?

Tonya Ricucci said...

I would have sworn I left you a comment on this wonderful house (my brain really must have been on vacation). It turned out marvelous and I love the multi-pieced roof. Excellent job.