Friday, May 26, 2006

Heart Quilt




















My Hearts Quilt - 43 X 64.
I made the blocks AGES ago. I think the pattern came from a Debbie Mumm book - but I donated tons of my quilting books to my library during a move, so can't double check for you.

Anyway - last summer I finally decided to piece these blocks together. Originally I had 15 blue blocks, but of course, couldn't find 2 of them at the time, so used the initial 2 green "test" blocks I did. The borders/sashing - all from stash. I've since found the missing 2 blue blocks, but rather like the green ones in there. In the fall I sent it off to my long arm quilter and got it back this spring when I was in the States. Take a look at the wonderful quilting she did (as always!)...


































Don't go thinking that I sew tons and tons - because you might have noticed that lately I am showing you lots of oldies - but nothing new. Maybe like Sam, I am just on a roll finishing up things I've started. And, this UFO took many years and a few moves before it was made into this completed top.

Well, this morning I was reading a few of my quilting boards and came across a call for quilt entries. My quilts have never been in any shows. I am thinking that I might try to get this one in though - the deadline for photos is a postmark date of June 1st. The show is for machine quilted tops - check it out... www.quiltingonthewaterfront.com - click on Quilt Exhibits for information about trying to enter. And they even have a non-judged catagory so no stress! We will see - I might not be able to make the June 1 photo deadline... but it is something to think about anyway.

13 comments:

Cher said...

good to get a ufo finished and enjoyed. Billie Lauder came up with something similar in her Beyound the Rail Fence book to your heart quilt. I agree-the quilting really is super on it!

Bonnie said...

I like that you finished it with the different blocks - makes it more eye-catching. And the quilting is wonderful.
Thanks also for the information on Spectrum. I had eventually found it and thought about signing up - but just don't know if I could get them all done. I love the idea though. Are you doing it?

Linda C said...

Very cute quilt and I like the green ones in there. It may not have been your first thought but it "works"

Samantha said...

Go for the show!

I like the green blocks in there- you could always use the 2 "found" blue blocks to make a pillow, wallhanging, table runner, etc.

Have fun finishing- doesn't it give you a great sense of relief? Of course, if I keep finishing big tops, I'll have to take out a 2nd mortgage to pay for all themachine quilting coming my way.

Hanne said...

I really like the look of the 2 green blocks between all the blue - adds interest to the quilt :-) I think you are right about the design being Debbie Mumm - I think I have it in one of the earlier books.

Finn said...

It's great to get the tops finished up and put to use. I like seeing stuff from across the years and experience levels...*VBS* Good move sticking in those test blocks, sure adds interest.

dot said...

Nice top. I like the green blocks adds some character. Go for the entry. It is scary at first but fun once you start.

ForestJane said...

I like the two 'different' blocks in it better too!

I'd be tempted to use the extra two blocks and make a pillow.

Jeanne said...

Good luck with the show -- we'll keep our fingers crossed!
I'll write longer later :)
Jeanne

Silverthimble said...

Making progress on our UFO piles is great therapy! Nothing wrong with taking years to finish a quilt, I do it all the time! *VBS*

Don't be afraid to enter the quilt show--your work is wonderful and would be a great addition to the show.

Darcie said...

That show is produced by my very dear friend, Helen Smith Stone!!! I will be there the whole time...and then some. I CANNOT WAIT TO SEE A PIECE FROM YOU, EVELYN!!! WOHOOOOO!!!

Mary Johnson said...

I like the green hearts in there too. I've only entered one quilt in a show and that was a local guild show a few years ago - good luck entering yours.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Your heart quilt is wonderful! but I've already said that in the previous comment!