Monday, May 01, 2006

Martelli Binding Fiasco

















And about that binding tool...

Well, I promised to tell you how I made out with that Martelli Stitch-n-Ditch Binder Foot. The short story - it is now in the trash (except for the packaging which I have to refer to for this post). I thought for a nano-second about offering it to anyone else who wanted to try it out, but then I came to my senses - I wouldn't wish this thing upon my worst enemy, so why would I offer it to a friend? The long story follows:

First off - the ad in Keepsake Quilting says: "Apply binding completly by machine without stitches showing by feeding your quilt edge underneath this plastic pressure foot, which adjusts for 1/4" to 1" bindings. Set includes four attachments for different batting lofts and six shank adapters for a variety of machines. (Bernina requires its own adapter.)" $29.99.
Sounds pretty good, right. So, I order it and have it sent to Canada - which involves some extra postage/import fees. The directions on the back of the package references some other tools and then states... "*Zip Clips, Minute Miters and SewMate sold seperately. These tools are helpful, but not required." Huh? Oh but wait - I can go to www.martelli-enterprises.com for directions with pictures. Oh wait - that website my computer is unable to find. OK, so skip that thought! But I do search around and finally come up with - tada! - the refered to zip clip system here http://webstore.quiltropolis.net/stores_app/Browse_Item_Details.asp?Store_id=430&page_id=23&Item_ID=1260 and for $54.99 - plus add the shipping. I think for $54.99 you get everything, including the part I already have. And wouldn't you know - the entire system from this website has such an outstanding review that it has you dreaming about perfectly easy, effortless bindings. Ha. Oh but wait, there's more - if you just so happened to buy this neat-o gadget at a SHOW you get a FREE cd or video or something like that to walk you through the steps. So where does that leave me, a mail order customer?
But anyway, it does say that these tools aren't required, and I am already out my money, so I am going to give it a good try. The photo of the thing on my machine is proof of that. But, right off the bat I am having trouble SEEING where I'm going - that big plastic foot kind-ov blocks your view. But I think I can live with that because the guide is adjusted to the right placement. Except that when you start sewing it really DRAGS so you end up with micro-scopic stitches unless you set your stitch length to something HUGE - so then you end up with a combination of long and short stitches depending on how easily everything is gliding along at a certain point. I think that somewhere along the initial testing stage of this product the testers must have run into this issue too because guess what the directions say? "We suggest lengthening your stitch to conduct a "trial run", making any changes to needle position and seam allowance then returning your stitch length to normal". Hummm, interesting.
I tried, I really did. After 2 nights of fiddling around with this thing I did what any practical Momma would do who wants to finish a quilt for her baby - went back to what is tried and true for me - my good old walking foot. Sewed that binding on one side. Then I tried something new - flipped it over and pinned it all down and sewed it on the other side with the walking foot. Remember, I am experimenting on toddler quilts in prep of doing this on a big quilt (trying to avoid hand sewing the binding to the back, but maybe that is still the route I will take). So, one quilt I sewed the binding to the back and then sewed through the binding on the top. The 2nd quilt I sewed the binding to the front and then ran my sewing stitches in the ditch along the front to catch the binding on the back (I liked this look the best). Not sure why someone would ever need a Mitering tool because mine always come out fine. In anycase, I think the binding looks pretty big because way in the beginning the directions for the binding foot said to cut the bindings 2 1/2" and I usually cut mine 2 1/8". And my SQUARE quilts now have WAVY edges, so it might have something to do with a wide binding OR it could be that I used the walking foot on both sides to attach the binding? Not sure! That is a bit beside the point though because Little Boy is very happy with his bound quilts!
In all fairness, I did have a kind person e-mail me about her Martelli binding foot (thanks Cheryl). She too had originally just purchased the set-up I bought. Later, at a show, she bought the rest of the tools and after 4 trys - is now able to say that it is a wonderful gadget. But that brings you right back to the fact that the item is more than $29.99 to work so wonderfully. Personally, I think that is very crooked! I mean, if it is $30 it is $30 in my book, not $30, but if you want it to work like it should - that will be another X$ (couldn't even find where to buy just the needed attachments since I already have part of the system). Just tell me the total cost up front.
So, it didn't go good, not good at all. Except that I was just talking to DH about what I am writting and now he is thinking that I should go fish the thing out of the sewing room trash and take the issue up with Keepsake. You know, I just might do that! $30 sure would buy me some nice, new fat quarters!
*
Edited to add:  Keepsake Quilting promptly returned my money.  Keepsake is a splurge for me, but their customer service is excellent and if you want to splurge - it is good to splurge where this is true just in case something ever goes wrong!  I understand that the binding tool works for some people and they like it.  I have to say, the book that has helped me the most with finishing my quilts is "Finish It" by Alex Anderson.  For a slim book, it is packed full of practical knowledge on how to get perfect bindings and finishing techniques, using tools that you probably already own for quilting anyway, plus some beautiful scrap quilt patterns!  If you buy anything from Amazon, please do so through one of my Amazon links because it helps me out - thank you!




19 comments:

The Calico Cat said...

I was able to make a return to Keepsake - give it a try!

Kim West said...

I agree, the $30 would buy some nice fabric! Thanks for the review - I think I will stick to my method of binding.

Patti said...

I'm sure you can work with Keepsake to return this. They have a good reputation to uphold. I'm sorry it didn't work out!

Pink and Barbara said...

yes, talk to keepsake. You can always give it a try,..
Good Luck!

Ann said...

I totally agree.......get back with keepsake and try to recover your money. And thank you so much for sharing your experience with the rest of us!

Anonymous said...

I bought my binding gizmo, bought the whole setup, at a quilt show - went back to the same quilt show two days later for another lesson - practiced and practiced and then sold it on ebay! I just didn't work for me. Keepsake is a great company, bet they take it back.

tami said...

I agree. Keepsake will surely take it back and if they get too many complaints they will stop carrying it so others won't get hooked in by something that sounds good but really isn't.

Samantha said...

Oh, very frustrating. So sorry to hear what an ordeal it was, but glad Little Boy has bound quilts now. I'd totally return the item. I'm sure Keepsake would work with you to avoidhaving an unhappy customer...

Kay said...

I had wondered about this thing. Even saw the demo at the Paducah show last week, but I got burned so badly on the last thing I bought at a show that I resisted. Thanks for your story; you helped others out. And I agree that Keepsake Quilting ought to make good on this. Try it, and good luck.

Hanne said...

Can you tell I am catching up with blogs - and that I am not half as effective as you when I am under the weather ? ;-) Thanks for the review - money saved, for me that is. I think you should try to get your money back. It is worth a try ! As my father used to say - good girls do not ask and do not get !

Quilts And Pieces said...

I was so interested in your experience with your new gadget. I always seem them at quilt shows and they make it seem so easy. I agree - I"d take it up with Keepsake and see if you can get some great fabric in exchange. Martellie (sp?) was in Paducah - I wonder what their website is?

Quilts And Pieces said...

Not sure if it helps, but I found the Martelli website for you.... http://www.martellinotions.com/

Crissie said...

My Goodness~ I sure wish I had read this first! It calms my disappointment some what! I too tried this gismo, I've got lots of patients and keep trying as Linda the lady that demo's this at the Pacific International Quilt Festival at the beginning of Oct.
made it look so FANTASTIC. So I know it is possible and if I hadn't seen it for myself I sure would be in doubt. However ... it is nothing but junk in my quilting mind. The fence for that perfect quarter in seam, as they call them do not hold the quilt flush to the sewing machines feed dogs. You HAVE to apply pressure to the back of the work to encourage it to feed right! I did write to the company through their web site but doubt very much that it will come to their attention they have their money so no need to reply. I not only purchased one I purchased two, one of my s-i-l for a Thank You gift! The whole package come to $75.00 or around that! They have a DVD no help Linda talks way to fast! I think that's what sells this thing so good fast talking! And makes foolish people like myself go for it! She has several YouTubes too. I'd like to know if there is anybody out there that made this work for them? The gizmo (Minute Miters)that she uses to turn the binding at the corners for that mitered corner is nice and works good but that's all. The Zip clips are a joke! You really have to have strength in your fingers make them work. And it frays the fabric when they are removed! In her vido's she shows her beautiful sewing room so I guess there are lots of fish out there that are like I am ... FOOLISH AND DISAPPOINTED! MY FRIEND HAS A QUILT SHOP AND WAS THINKING ABOUT SELLING THEM. Guess who's going to clue her in? Thanks so much for this post!
Cj in California ..

Grandmasewnsew said...

Thank you for saving me lots of money!! Saw this at Ken's Sewing Center. They should know better.

Ginka said...

I just saw the Martelli demo at a quilt show.The third year in a row I have stood and watched them and then resisted buying as the woman talks so fast and reminds me of the street con that has the little ball and the three cups. If I heard her say " a smidge a skootch, a tad" one more time I was going to loose it. The presentation was a total turn off. She does now say that if you only buy the foot and expect to get nice bindings "good luck with that". So why do they sell the gadgets separately??

Unknown said...

Martelli's is located in Pensacola, FL. They make their quilting tools right there. I would recommend anyone who has difficulty with their product contact them directly. They are quite good about suppporting their products and the people who purchase them. My quilt group has been there several times and we are treated so well. I don't have the binding tool but I know three members in the group bought the setup at Martelli's open house in November. Hoping they can figure it out, but at least they aren't too far from Martelli's if they need to return them! Contact them; it will be worth it to you.
http://www.martellinotions.com/

Rainbows in Wool said...

Thank you for saving me money. I am not even going to try it. I figure anything so complicated that there are apparently pages and pages of instructions that also talk about online videos or some CD that comes with it is over the top crazy. Reminds me of the 37 pages of instructions for a simple zippered bag that no one seems to be able to complete without also watching various online videos. Nothing that's supposed to be simple should require that much reading of video viewing.

All About Quilting said...

I have a quilt shop in Richmond, MO and purchased this tool to try out machine bindings with. I guess I got off cheap because I got it at wholesale. Sad thing is, I'm now stuck with it. There are no instructions in the packaging that show you how to use the thing and I don't have time to watch a video. It also seems like you need to purchase other things to go with it. So thank you for posting this. I will not be carrying this in my shop.

GuitarGramma said...

I feel your pain. I have the full system, but found Linda's videos too confusing. She talks so fast that for years I thought she was saying, "Minute Minder" instead of "Minute Miter." I literally couldn't figure out what that Minute Minder thingy was for. HAH! I finally found a different YouTube video by a different Martelli rep that walks you through the purpose of each tool. Slowly. Once I understood the function of each tool, the system started to make sense. After two years of of trying to figure out how to use things, coupled with a whole lot of DVD re-winding, I now use the Martelli system. My bindings are vastly improved. But you have to be a stubborn soul (ahem) who hates wasting money to get to this point.