Wednesday, May 31, 2006

The Merry Month of May - in review
















My favorite photo for the month of May: "Dandelion for YOU, Momma!"

Little Boy absolutely DELIGHTS in picking flowers for me - each one a treasure - and I have a little bud vase on the counter full of his offerings. When they die, I have to be very careful to dispose of them when he isn't looking or his feelings are deeply hurt. Even the stems and dead buds are precious in his opinion!





















This photo is from a walk to a rocky cove to throw stones on a gray, stormy day. It was a fairly cold and rainy month mixed in with some sunny days too. I don't have any puddle stomping photos because the camera battery was dead and it took me a few days to find the charger! Our big play purchase for May was a pair of rubber boots for Little Boy which he immediately tested out by SITTING in a huge, muddy puddle. "Nope, they don't work, Momma!" he gleefully shouted. Gee, really?! I wonder why??? So, our first day out with the boots didn't go exactly as planned, but once we got over the sitting in puddles bit, the boots actually do work just fine and have seen some good use this month.




















And, here he is oh so carefully doing the honors (with a little help) with my birthday cake! This is a Swedish strawberry layer cake with berries and home-made vanilla sauce in between the layers and a cream cheese frosting - I hardly ever make it because it is time consuming, but oh so yummy!!



















And here he is having a fun time on the slide at a playground we like to go to. Are we the only 2 people left wearing a hat and mittens in May? The good news is that last week the weather finally started to warm up a bit and we switched over to sun hats. To give you an idea - just this week the lilacs started to bloom! A cold spring.


All in all, we have had a really good month. Oh sure, we have had our share of daily grind - Toddler temper tantrums (after all, it is so frusting being a Little Guy sometimes), some major diet changes, the fact that showers are something like a distant memory these days and my sheer exhaustion by 8:30 pm, just to name a few... but there are many, many delightful little moments in our days too. This is such a fun time - you can almost see the little gears whirling away in Little Boy's head as he learns about and discovers his world. I can honestly say that I am very happy and I think that happiness is reflected in my darling Little Boy's face!

And - on the sewing front... as predicted, not too much sewing going on, but I did get some things done. Getting anything done sewing wise these days is difficult (goes with that 8:30 exhaustion bit), so I am fairly pleased with my following list:

1. Finished my Blue Scrappy Quilt! Ready for long-arm quilter!
2. Put final borders on Mitre Boxes! Ready for long-arm quilter!
3. Serged rags - ugh.
4. Put 1 border on a heart swap top - still need to buy fabric for final border
5. Forced myself to make 2 star blocks for another UFO - making progress!
6. Made some friendship wonky house blocks
7. I am picking away on my 2 Ocean Waves tops

8. Got the heart quilt out in the mail to my Nana's cousin - all labeled!
9. I didn't start anything new...


So - onward into June!!!

17 comments:

Inga said...

Thank you for sharing your life with us and Happy Birthday, whenever it was. That layer cake sounds exactly like a Norwegian cake! And I can vote for its splendidness.

Inga

Carolyn said...

It sounds to me that you got a lot done this month! The pictures of your son are precious, it's so nice to see you enjoying the time with him while he's little. So many people have to put their kids in daycare and miss the opportunities that you have. I was fortunate to be able to stay home with my kids while they were young and I wouldn't trade those years for anything!

quiltpixie said...

From my corner of the world it sounds like a very productive month! Various bits and pieces of sewing, and a healthy happy toddler and no committal forms to a local insane asylum... Well done! One day your boy will grow up more, and you'll have more time for e life of your own, until then the fact that you're still managing to squeeze it in at all sounds like sucess to me.

Finn said...

It sounds like a pretty wonderful month to me..*VBS* I think all the important things got done, the sewing accomplishments were no slouch either!! Onward to June and warmer weather!
Love the boots story!!! Hugs, Finn

Joyce said...

Love the picture of Little Boy giving you the dandelion. Enjoy the days when he's little. I am so glad I did now that my little boys are over 40. It happens all too fast.

Laurie Ann said...

Little Boy is such a cutie, I loved the pictures and the story about him trying out his new boots by sitting in the puddle ... funny!

Hanne said...

Belated Happy Birthday :-) Thanks for sharing the photos. The lilacs are not blooming here yet either, if it is of any comfort ;-) Seems like you have got a lot done in May after all !

Cher said...

I would say you had a terrific month of May...what enchanting photos of little boy too-brings back such happy memories of when my sons were that small-thanks for sharing

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh the picture of Little Boy with his new boots throwing stones is so cute! And what a funny story about trying them out by sitting down in the mud puddle! Those moments are just too precious!

Samantha said...

Thanks for sharing all those great Little Boy moments! He is adorable. Love that flower photo. Hey, do you have any good mud-out-of-clothes tips? Princess Girl can find mud even in our desert climate...

Sounds like May was terribly productive and quilty for you, way to go!

Laurie said...

What a great month Evelyn. And gosh darn it, that Little Boy sure is a great kid! You're a lucky mom!!!
Hugs
Laurie

Linda C said...

Happy Birthday, even if it is a little late. You had to make your own cake? As much as I like to bake, I don't want to do that!

Your little guy is such a sweetie. He will make some girl very happy someday when he smiles and hands her a flower too.

Granny said...

Those are adorable pictures of your son. He's so cute and you're such a great mom! It's so nice to hear about a happy family!

Judy L.

Passionate Quilter said...

I think you had a very good month! Little Boy is so cute and is so lucky to have a mommy that takes lots of time with him and somehow manages a little of her own time to sew. Savor these moments, and I think you are! Oh, belated birthday wishes!

Jeanne said...

A wonderful month! The picture of Little Boy with the big smile and the fuzzy dandelion is absolutely precious!!

Jeanne :)

Sweet P said...

Children are a precious gift. Your Little Boy certainly brings a lots of smile and love into your life. Thanks for sharing his puddle sitting adventures with us.

ForestJane said...

You have such a little doll there - it's so nice to hear of someone enjoying time with a little one.