Monday, May 08, 2006

A Well-Loved Quilt


















I made this quilt for my Grand-niece. I used left-over pastel 2" strips from making one of my sisters (her Nana) a log cabin quilt. So, now the two of them each have a quilt with some of the same fabric. Or at least - soon - I still have to bind my sister's quilt! This quilt measures 57X57 and, yes, I sent it out to my long arm quilter (I know, I know - some of you are just shaking your heads in amazement that I would send such a small top out - but look at the beautiful quilting...)





The panto is called Rosie and my quilter used a rainbow thread which my g-niece was very excited about.

I never really know how big to make a quilt. I like to keep kids quilts small enough that they will fit in the washing machine/dryer, but big enough to cuddle under and look pretty on a bed, but still small enough to carry around. Hummmm. So, I was just thrilled when my niece later sent me an e-mail saying this was a perfect sized quilt for a 6 year old. Phew!

The fun part about this quilt is that I put it together without too much thought. I just made some random rail-fence type blocks, added the borders with pieced blocks for the corners and sent it off to be quilted with the request for something flower-y. Really simple. But what a reception! I can't tell you how much my little g-niece loved this quilt. She smiled and smiled and smiled and petted it and took great care that the dogs wouldn't get on it (and she is a real dog lover, so this pretty much says it all!). Little Boy was pretty happy that she liked it so much too - he told her it is for having a picnic on! Her very happy reaction instantly made this one of my all-time favorite quilts to make and give away!

So, there you have it - a well-loved quilt! And, I leave you with this post for probably 2 weeks as I have alot of stuff to do, plus a trip. But I didn't want to leave a post about serging rags, of all things, to be my going away post!

12 comments:

Hanne said...

Lovely quilt and lovely quilting :-) Have a good 2 weeks and a safe trip !

Finn said...

It's really a lovely quilt, and looks just right to me for a 6 yr old girl. You did good!!

Have a wonderful time on your trip, and come back soon!!! Hugs, Finn

Samantha said...

It's a lovely quilt- what a great gift!

quiltpixie said...

isn't it wonderful when you know the quilt will be well loved. It looks great, and will no doubt hide many a wonderful memory for your g-niece in the years to come...

Cher said...

way to go Evelyn...a perfect girl-y quilt, and so nice of your son to encourage using it for something fun :-) enjoy your time away!

Judy said...

Isn't it fun to give a quilt and have the receiver be so excited to get it! I gave my neice her graduation quilt last Satyrday and she was thrilled over it.

I love the quilting, she did a perfect job and you requested the perfect pattern. Very girl-y and flower-y and fun!

The Calico Cat said...

Don't feel bad, I've sent smaller stuff out to long armers... I couldn't quilt with my old machine & with my new one, it is unsure if I would ever get "aroundtuit" when it comes to quilting!
hand quilting? When can I quilt laughing? Although I am getting a bit tempted, just need to produce the right quilt for my effort...

Laurie Ann said...

Very sweet quilt, and that quilting pattern is awesome! Have fun, and see you when you get back.

Quilts And Pieces said...

I love your "fun" quilt taht you made without too much thought and your scraps! And how great that it will be loved! I love making fast fun quilts like that! and the quilting is great!

Passionate Quilter said...

That certainly looks like a well loved quilt--and what a nice aunt to make it for a little girl. Have fun on your trip!

Pink and Barbara said...

Lovely quilt...and making her so happy with it múst have been a wonderfull feeling..!

Tonya Ricucci said...

I love the soft look of this quilt.