Monday, September 25, 2006

Last Day

















The last day of our mini-getaway and we went to Hopewell Rocks (www.thehopewellrocks.ca) ! Here are 2 photos from today of the rocks, and 1 photo from last year (high tide). I was not interested in waiting around today to go back just to take photos of high tide, but if you have never seen it before - it is well worth going back for the 2nd look. For us, the fun is in walking on the ocean floor before the tide comes in. Oh - and of course, Little Boy just adores a picnic. Let me tell you - the last thing I am interested in doing 1st thing in the morning is a bunch of lunch prep - but you know, at lunch time when we are absolutely starving - it is sooo worth it! So often, our own food is 100 times better than what you can buy in the area.

It was a perfect "fallish" day - a bit cool with a slight breeze, but still warm in the sun. And a bonus - the sky was very blue! All my previous photos of the rocks are with gray skies, so I was happy to get some blue photos! Even a better bonus - the tide was low in the morning so we were able to go there, have our picnic and be back in time for nap time! Yeah! There are other fun things to do in the area, but I need to pace myself with a toddler in tow!

Actually, we were a bit late in arriving, so rather than RUSH down the hill in a big hurry (which just isn't going to happen when you have to stop and look at just about every pinecone and pick up pebbles), we got tickets to ride the golf cart down AND up the hill. You see, after a certain time, with the tide coming in, you aren't allowed down on the ocean floor. But truth be told, I am thinking that the 2 golf cart rides were a highlight in Little Boy's day! I think it might have even made up for the fact that the icecream stand was closed (lots of things are now closed as we head into the off-off season). Usually we walk down the hill and then take the golf cart UP. This is no ordinary golf cart - this is the stretch limo golf cart version - LOL! Anyway, it all worked out because we had plenty of time to explore around down there and even came back up before we were asked to leave... afterall, we were hungry and had that picnic waiting for us!













Little Boy loves to explore the shore and you might notice - he has found a puddle! This is very muddy, muddy mud - as a matter of fact - there is a foot wash station up top. Well, with my son - forget the footwash station -this Momma comes prepared with a complete change of dry clothes! And - truth be told - I would rather that he explore the puddles than try to climb the big rocks or run under the ropes for the "out-of-bounds" areas - ummm, which would be what he was trying to do last year!

We've had a wonderful few days away...

10 comments:

Linda C said...

What a picture perfect setting for fun times together. Your son will have such a good travelogue when he grows up.

quiltpixie said...

looks like you had a fun time. All that's missing is the clam pails and clam bake for supper :-)

Hedgehog said...

I love the Hopewell Rocks - don't remember the golf cart, though! I'm sure your little boy loved that!

ForestJane said...

I think those rocks would make wonderful trolls swimming... :) Especially on a foggy morning.

Joyce said...

Looks like you had a very fun day. Nothing like a picnic you prepared yourself too.

Melzie said...

Beautiful :) and thanks for trying to take the field pics for me LOL better luck next time. I'd enjoy the mud too :) Did you get in it with him? xoxomelzie

Passionate Quilter said...

what a beautiful place to take your son. And I see what a difference in skies between last years photo and this years. Don't you just love blue skies. We get lots of gray skies in Ohio and I really have come to appreciate blue skies!

Laurie Ann said...

You are a good momma!!

Samantha said...

great photos- and a great day too!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh I loved those low tide/high tide pictures! Wow, I guess I never realized how much difference there was! What a beautiful fun place to go! And I like the idea of the stretch golf cart!