Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Working on the hearts...












The hearts are sooo close to being done that I've decided to work on them instead of the 9 patches - a "legal" decision since I haven't even started the 9 patch progress other than washing the setting fabrics! I made 2 more blocks to make an even 20 and have pieced the 1st section together - you do this in sections so you can adjust the different block sizes as you go. All the hearts are novelties and I fused them down and then used my blanket stitch on my sewing machine to sew them down.

I got the inspiration/directions for these blocks from this book: Folk Art Quilts - A Fresh Look, by Sandy Bonsib. This is a really FUN book and if you like these hearts it might be a book you might want to consider!



And, when Little Boy discovered my "new" quilt laid out on the floor he was very delighted and promptly sat right down to look at all the fun little novelties inside of each heart. He was sooo cute - he said "oooohhh Momma, I LIKE your new qLuilt!" I will have to have this one backed in flannel as he likes quilts to be snuggy wuggy.

So, one section done. I have the top row of blocks sewn together too. I am happy that all my blocks are "about" the same size because I don't have to do a ton of adjusting - just a strip here and there.


Patti asked me how I could forget these blocks... well - I made them pre-baby so more than 3 years ago. When the baby was 1 month old our house went under agreement and we had to be out in 1 month... except we didn't know where we were going to move! We ended up getting rid of tons of stuff and everything that was left over went into 2 storage containers for 6 months. After 6 months we were moving to Canada and had to make those 2 containers fit into 1 small-ish U-Haul moving truck! Once again - lots of stuff had to go! Many "like" things got packed together (like blocks in the scraps - at least it is all sewing related!). And a scrap bin just isn't something that you think you might have to "unpack" to find out what is in the bottom. So - there the blocks sat until just the other day!

Mommi asked me how I organize my scraps. Ahhh, that is a long-ish answer so I will save it for another day, although I already answered her by e-mail I think it deserves it's very own post!

7 comments:

Patti said...

Well done Evelyn! I love that book also. We had Sandy Bonsib at guiild a couple of years ago and got to see all the quilts in the book in person. Made me want to make every one of them!

Jenni said...

You are so good to quickly do some more blocks to get it finished quickly. I need to get off this computer pronto and do some sewing

Linda C said...

So Little Boy really did do you a favor the other day--he loves it already!

Bonnie said...

No better endorsement of your quilt than when your little boy liked it!

Mary Johnson said...

Yep, same book I found the pattern for my heart quilt. I also made the coffee quilt for a girlfriend of my son and used one of the other quilts in the book as the inspiration for a 3rd quilt.

Jan Mac said...

I love the fact that Little Boy loved your new quilt and is able to appreciate all your work. Will he become a quilter some day?

ForestJane said...

The hearts are cute! Can't wait to see them all together, in a quilt. :)