Tuesday, February 06, 2007

The felted mittens!

Little Boy's red and pink felted mittens are done! He thought they were very funny before I felted them - huge and he could poke his fingers through them.

Aha, but lookie there - 3 hot washes and they are only slightly too big. Then again, he is only 3 1/2 and the pattern only indicated child, not toddler. Probably would have fit better if I hadn't added so many extra rows for the cuff, but you know, snow gets into cuffs and that takes some of the fun out of sleding. So, I like extra long cuffs - put the mitten on before the jacket and then velcro the jacket sleeve nice and snug and believe me - no snow is going to get at that sweet wrist. They are thick, thick, thick - something he will really appreciate in a few years when he really gets into sledding and puts his hands down to help steer the sled. I can't tell you how many mittens we blew holes through un
til Mom started buying us fake those deerskin mittens that we kept well oiled all winter.

Before and after photos on my cutting mat. Still have to get a photo of them being worn... They really did shrink alot - but remember, I did wash them 3X! I used a wooden spoon to stuff the thumbs with a plastic bag and then loosly balled another bag in the palm/wrist for drying. Not sure what that purl line is all about so I stopped doing it - too complicated to keep track of and it felted out anyway. And - 1 very funny thumb - I must have picked my needles up backwards but again - it felted out. AND - just had to share my phone headset - I just got it this week and it is wonderful!!! I can whip up a batch of brownies and talk on the phone at the same time without getting a crick in my neck.











Some of you have asked where I am - forgot to put that piece of information on my travel entry... I am on C-c-cold Cape Cod! Here is a photo of the bay with ice chunks. These big ice chunks get pushed in by high tide and then are left when the water goes out for low tide. They are especially beautiful at sunset - if sunset is at low tide - because they often glow orange and red. But when you see chunks like this in the bay, it is cold. Believe me, this is a sight the summer people never see! I took this photo last week when it was warmer - you can still see a patch of water - this morning it is all ice, as far as you can see. Brrr! Timely finish for those felted mittens - might have to make myself a pair, long cuffs and all.

9 comments:

quiltpixie said...

the mitts are great! The best part of wool mitts is that even wet they are warm :-)

Joyce said...

The mitts look very warm. I have a pattern that I sewed hundreds of polar fleece mitts from. Then I made a waterproof outer mitt. With 4 kids constantly losing one mitten, it was too expensive to buy them and too time-consuming to knit them.

Melanie said...

Mittens are the best. Gloves just can't keep my fingers warm. Great picture of Little boy.

Darcie said...

What a fun pic of Little Boy! I bet he was all giggles with his huge mits...before felting.

I just caught the tail end of a story on the news...about a local gal that spins her own bison hair (Well...she spins it...but it was the bisons' hair! LOL) into yarn. And then she knits mittens and hats. She said that it is such a warm fiber...it needs to be extremely cold outside in order to be able to wear the pieces. I think she's had her chance this week! It's painfully cold here!

Have a beautiful time in Cape Cod! Love the pic!

Carol said...

What absolutely wonderful mittens!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Now that is really cool how they shrink down!

Joanne said...

Little boy is so adorable. What a great idea on felting the mittens and making the cuffs longer.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Love those mittens! You've given me a great idea re: the headset for the phone... I can sew and caht at the same time!

Cher said...

love how the mittens turned out!