Sunday, February 22, 2009

Happy Jacks Progress

Without sashing or with? I am thinking... maybe, just maybe if I have a solid-ish maroon (I don't think so - I've already looked) or navy... I might sash it. If not - well then I think it looks just as good without sashing... introduces a bit of a 2nd design. What do you think?
For the outside borders I cut bricks of the darker fabrics when I was cutting the blocks. So far - everything came from stash! I did have to add a few more colors to use what I had, plus I made that 1 segment reverse to use that last bit of those greens.
*
I actually did consider buying a bit of maroon fabric the other day - it is a 12 hour day for us to go shopping so we don't go often... but wouldn't you know, SB needed new sneakers AND rubber boots (mud-puddle season will be here before we know it and I don't want to have to make a special trip just for boots!), socks, and just - well, I didn't get the maroon quilting fabric. I did get 1 meter of maroon fabric - but it is fleece - for pants for my ever-growing boy!

7 comments:

Jeanne said...

The reverse block is WONDERFUL!
I'd probably choose no sashing ... unless you need it to end up larger.
Jeanne

Lindah said...

Actually, I like it both ways. I'm not a big fan of sashing, but it does give more structure to the design, changes the quilt's personality, puts more focus on each block.
However, I like the richness of no sashing. The reverse block, as Jeanne said, is wonderful...it gives just enough definition to the block design, so sashing is not missed.
So, I'm not much help. Follow your inclination. It will be lovely.

Lori in South Dakota said...

I think I would like it sashed in a light neutral like what's in the blocks. Just bring how the dark colors more.

The Calico Cat said...

I vote for without - but then again I am a sucker for the secondary designs...

Vicki H. said...

I love the secondary design and I am a no sashing vote!! I just love this quilt.

Melanie said...

Incredibly intense blocks---- This piece is going to be stunning. Lots of talent in those threads..... I agree with Jeanne,, no sashing... the blocks speak for themselves.

Scrappy-Quilter said...

I love this block! I like the idea of using a small sashing but what if you do a different setting and start in the center and work your way out using the blocks with no sashing. Hard to explain. Try starting with four blocks to make the star pattern and then continue adding blocks around the center until you use all your blocks.You will create another secondary pattern around the center. Just an idea.