Friday, April 03, 2009

Courthouse Steps Quilt Blocks... Progress



I am still plugging along on my Courthouse Steps blocks. Only 8 more blocks left to go - I still need to color 1 box in on my chart. I am hoping that over the next 2 weeks the blocks will be completed and then I can move on to setting them together. Those 1 1/2" strips sure do take ALOT of sewing to get a block done.
*
Some of the blocks are missing the final strip - I ran out of fabric for those so will have to look to see what I have that sort-ov matches. It's only 2-3 blocks and I guess it will just add interest to the finished quilt.
*
With warmer weather on the horizon, I re-arranged the living room this week, taking out my sewing corner and moving it back over to the corner in the kitchen - or what will be the kitchen after renovations are finished. It was too cold over there in the winter, but I really prefer to sew in that area, so I am happy. Now, just have to address the issue of lighting at night...
*
The living room looks so much better re-arranged. It isn't a large room and has a funny L shape, but the new layout is perfect. We now have a separate tv area, sitting/computer area (with great lighting/seating for knitting/reading!), large play area for my son... because of course he wants to be right underfoot no matter where I am, so we might as well just plan accordingly and make everything work. Right on the other side of his play area is my sewing corner.
*
A knitting note: I love handknit face cloths. Seems most people use them as dishclothes around here, but I like them in the shower. I buy them at the Farmer's Market. Two weeks ago I decided to try knitting my own ... mine is on the right - much too big! Guess I will have to try again with a smaller needle. So, while it isn't the perfect facecloth, it does look to be just about perfect for a dishcloth afterall! And, one of my friends at quilting group took pity on me and knit me the correct scale face cloth I was trying to make myself - that's hers on the left. Wasn't that sweet!

I was going to a business thing this weekend, but have a cold and just couldn't seem to muster up the energy to go. Besides the fact that it is a long-ish trip and that area just got hammered with snow 2 days ago. Guess I will stay home and work on closing out my books for the quarter instead, yuck! But, it will be good to get that accomplished so I might as well take advantage of the time I have in my schedule.

7 comments:

Brenda said...

I had never thought of using those clothes in the shower!!! I don't like to use them for dishes, so they are the last ones I use, but in the bath!?? It just makes sense!! Thanks for that idea!!
And I like your courthouse step blks - and yes, they do take awhile to make at that strip size, but oh so worth it!!
Have a great weekend and isn't it time for the snow to stop being in our forcasts????? I think so, but guess not........ Have a great weekend!!

Doodlebug Gail said...

Oh wow! Your courthouse steps blocks are gorgeous and good for you for keeping so organised. I have this pattern in a book about scrappy quilts - are you using a pattern or just winging it?

Aren't you ready for spring to arrive properly? I am ready to get into my garden - this winter has been awful but I keep getting reminded that there's always a chance of a horrible spring storm to bring some snow! We have a very rainy day here in Toronto today and apparently it's not going to let up until tomorrow morning.

Sorry you're not feeling well - rest up and take care of yourself.

Fiona said...

The courthouse steps are wonderful - I particularly like the pink centre squares.

Holly said...

Your courthouse steps quilt is looking wonderful! I love your face cloth, too. How big is it? I've been enjoying making face/dish cloths and mine are anywhere between 8 to 9 inches. That size works well for me. Feel better soon!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Your courthouse steps quilt is beautiful! Thanks for the tips on how to make it without a design wall. I've had this one on my to-do list for a long time. I would love to actually make it. Maybe after I finish the SITP quilt. :)

Elaine Adair said...

Wow - this is one of my most favorite quilts - yours is going to be gorgeous!

Darcie said...

Your Courthouse Steps Log Cabin is looking just delightful, Evelyn! I love a setting like that. It's just so sweet.

Sorry to hear that you're under the weather. Hope you're feeling more like yourself very soon!