Wednesday, July 29, 2009

July Bits




Last week... well, last week was so busy that I figure I only can work less for the rest of the summer. I am so tired. The good news is that I knew it was going to be a busy week so I signed my son up for day camp... and he loved it! He is now signed up for the rest of the summer at his request. They have swimming lessons 2X a week, go to the pool just for free swim, go to the beach, library, out for icecream, play mini golf, do crafts... all sorts of fun things. Plus he has tennis lessons on Tuesday. I am so happy for him that he is enjoying it... and it gives me a bit of a chance to catch up on some of my paperwork during the day.

*

Tonight, I actually got to sew for a little bit! I was all done in the kitchen by 9:30 so I had some time to just play with some of my on-going projects a bit.

*
First up... my 6 pointed star. This spring I cut a ton of diamonds and this is how that project is looking. Because I didn't strip sew it, there was alot of matching up to do on those diamonds and although not perfect, I think it looks pretty good. The segments aren't sewn together yet. And yes, I do know that I made a mistake on one of those segments - it will be redone. Missing - the final strip of the last segment... so tomorrow I will try to take a look around and see if it turns up. If not, I have more fabric! No idea how to progress after I get the segments made - probably I will turn the edges under and applique it onto a background and add a top and bottom row of stars to make a lap quilt that is long enough to tuck under your feet. I only sewed 1 strip on the last segment today, but that is still progress.
*
My little pile of string blocks... I have about 30 pieced so far. I am thinking I will probably need 90 plus to make a good sized snuggle quilt. Just using my pink/blue/purple strips. I sewed several of these together tonight and pressed them out. Not much, but a little bit at a time adds up.
I've actually been too tired to sit at the sewing machine and sew... when I've been on my feet all day and am tired - I like to just sit in my rocker and knit a bit here and there. Winter knitting usually hurts my hands due to the cold weather, but so far I've been fine with this project in the summer. Right now I am knitting my son a sweater for school - the back is finished and I've started on the front. The yarn is super soft so it will feel like a fleece sweatshirt, but will be a bit fancier. He likes it.
So, slow progress on everything, but at least each item is moving forward, step by step!

3 comments:

Tanya said...

Remember, slow and steady wins the race.

Paula, the quilter said...

Maybe you should knit yourself some of the fingerless mitts to wear when you are knitting. Knitty.com has a free pattern called 'Fetching' that is easy (with cables) and only uses 50gr of yarn (I think). Love the star quilt you are making.

Anonymous said...

Hi! I haven't been by your blog for a while but I'm glad I stopped by tonight. I want to tell you how great your curtains look! Nice to catch up with you.

Rebecca