Monday, August 17, 2009

Yogurt Making Success!

I've always wanted to make yogurt, but just wasn't interested in buying one of those yogurt makers - they don't make much yogurt and it would just be another kitchen gadget in my space. And what if you lose one of those special jars that only fits that machine? I don't really like kitchen gadgets that are only good for one thing - unless I use it constantly (like my apple corer).
*
But the other day I was browsing around the internet about yogurt making and came across this site: www.makeyourownyogurt.com
*
It didn't look too hard. I mean really, I jotted down a few notes to bring into the kitchen with me ... something like: double boiler 185 degrees - stir alot, cold water bath 110 degrees - stir some, add 3 TBS yogurt - stir and put on heating pad for 7 hours. Fridge overnight. But do check out the link because the step by step instructions/photos are really helpful!
*
In prep, I went to the grocery store and bought a container of plain yogurt that clearly stated live cultures on the label (I used a generic store brand) and the hardware store for the cheapest heating pad they had plus a thermometer I could clip to the pan. I went through my pans and double checked that one would fit into the other to make a double boiler and measured out 1/2 a gallon of water into the pan just to make sure everything would fit. And I washed up an empty container for the finished yogurt.
*
Everything was very easy - the hardest part might have been remembering to move the pan off the heating pad and transferring everything to the fridge after 7 hours.
*
This morning I enjoyed DELICIOUS home-made yogurt - I added 1 TBS of wheat germ and a bit of honey. Yummmmm. When I go to the store today I will pick up some fresh fruit for my next serving. I think I am going to have to make this more than 1X a week. And the savings... 1/2 gallon of yogurt cost the same price of 1/2 gallon of milk after you have your basic supplies (which you probably already have anyway).
*
Just in case my ultra-healthy yogurt didn't turn out - I also made a back-up... 2 pans of cinnamon rolls. OK - well, I sold 1 pan fresh out of the oven (I had a customer waiting on a batch) and 3 more were eaten before I thought to snap a photo, but I did make 2 pans.

3 comments:

Brenda said...

I had to see if you had made yogur the way I had found... you didn't. Do you have a slow cooker?? Well, 8 cups milk in the slow coooker on low for 2 1/2 hrs. Now, unplug cooker and leave alone for 3 hrs. Now, take out 2 cups of the milk and mix with plain yogurt that has active live bactaria in it - mix it up together, now pour into slow cooker and wrap the cooker up with a larg bath towel -leave alone for 8 hrs!! It makes yogurt!!! And I am making my second batch right now!!! Just found this site the other day - I too wanted/thought about the yougurt maker but didn't want another thing to take up space. I will go get the site and come back!!

Brenda said...

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2009/07/slow-cooking-during-recession.html

this is the site where I found how to do a few things with my slow cooker!! I am looking forward to trying a few more ideas I picked up here - but I am so happy with the yogurt!!! LOVE IT!!!!

(great minds must think alike!! I have been wanting to make my own yogurt for years now, and finally am!!! ;-) )

Granny said...

That's so weird because I was just thinking last week about making yogurt. I'm going to have to try it. Thanks. Honestly though . . with those sweet rolls for a backup, I might've messed up my yogurt on purpose!