Sunday, July 04, 2010

Catching Up



It's always fun to see my quilts hanging in a show.  These 2 quilts were in my guild's recent show - I wasn't even here for "turn-in" day and someone else came to pick which ones to show and even sewed the hanging sleeves on them for me.  When I asked my husband which ones where going to be in the show - his answer was - get this - "2 different multi-colored ones".  Great clue!  Ha, ha.  Anyway, it was a fun show - I think there were 33 large quilts and many smaller quilts and needlework/knitting/etc. items as well.  The fun thing about our show is that many, many quilts are hand-quilted (not mine, but it is nice to still see hand-quilted quilts!).  It is a big fund-raiser for my guild and I think they had a very good turnout.  That is a good thing because it helps pay the heating bill during those long, cold winter months.  Top quilt is a pattern by Gayle Bong (in the book Save the Scraps) and the 2nd quilt is just a wonky-log cabin style quilt with novelty prints cut into heart shapes and appliqued in the centers (no pattern) - I've blogged about both quilts somewhere on my blog!
*
I am always saying - I have 1001 things to blog about, but I never seem to get around to posting everything and then new stuff happens and the cycle starts all over again!  Well, as the saying goes - a photo says a thousand words, so maybe a few photos will save me alot of typing!
This is an old "traveling post office" that was in display in Austria right before we left.  It serviced rural areas.  I thought it was neat.  I just love "stumbling" upon unique displays and always take the time to see what it is all about.

Looking out the plane window!  It was a long, long trip, but thankfully we made all our connections just fine.  Except - I totally forgot about having extra US cash on me for a bus ticket and only had enough US currency for 1 adult and 1/2 a child.  Oops!  It is a bus that collects the fare (which is not cheap, trust me) while you are ON the bus - so no chance of using your debit card.  Well, guess what?  The bus people decided that my son could ride for free - didn't even charge me the 1/2 fare I did have on hand.  I was so relieved, because I really didn't want to get off the bus, go find an ATM machine and then have to wait for another bus at the very tail end of an already long trip.  So, it all ended well - human decency does live on.
*
And now - we are most definately out of the city.  Way out.  After an all-too-short visit with my family. 

Just to give you an idea... we are 2 1/2 hours to the nearest Wal-Mart.  In North American terms - that qualifies as being "way out".

I've been working like crazy, but tomorrow there is a break in the schedule so we are getting out all our camping gear (plus a quick trip to the store for the all important s'mores fixings) and my son and I are going camping for the night - very close to home but it will all seem like a big adventure to him and it means - no major traveling for me.  What is not to like about that plan?

1 comment:

Darcie said...

Glad to have you back on the continent, Evelyn!