Thursday, December 15, 2011

Christmas Socks

Really, I have very little time for crafting right now.  Earlier this year I made ONE sock with this yarn.  I packed that one sock and the remaining yarn and hoped that I would be able to knit a second sock by Christmas.  Mission accomplished.  This pair of socks is for my mother-in-law, a very talented knitter in her day, but she no longer knits because it bothers her shoulder.  I know she will appreciate them!  Oh - and now I just looked at my photo and see that you can only see 1 sock, but there are really 2 - they are stacked on top of each other!
*
The yarn is Lana Gatto Tollegno (made in Italy).  It is 80% wool and 20% cashmere.  It was on clearance at a LYS in the baby section.  So soft!  I am not sure though - I cast on using size 2 needles and only 52 stitches - that is what I always use for myself because I have thin legs.  Now I am thinking that I should have cast on  60 for my MIL.  Ah well, it is K2, P2 for the rib and then I did K3, P1 all the way down to the toe - I think it has enough stretch.  If not, she can always give them back to me and I will knit her another pair.
*
One great thing about being in Austria - the stores (even the grocery stores!), often have wonderful sock yarn.  It won't be hard for me to find yarn to start a second pair, if needed.  However, I doubt that I will find wool/cashmere blend.  OK - fingers crossed that these will have a wide enough cuff for her.

1 comment:

Susan said...

Very nice socks. You are so talented as a quilter and also a knitter, and probably tons of other things. I haven't been around in a while, but I'm going to catch up a bit now! I'm not sure where you are spending the holiday, but Merry Christmas.