Sunday, March 27, 2016

Easter at my House

You can buy a lamb cake at the grocery store for about 2€ here in Austria. But then you miss all the fun of licking spatulas and all that other fun stuff.  This recipe is very good...It has 40 grams of cornstarch in it, an ingredient I never see in US cake recipes. I like this cake recipe and it makes the perfect sized cake for our little family of 3...served with strawberries and whipped cream! My husband thinks it is a bit funny that I have a cake pan that I use once a year, but isn't that the fun of holiday traditions?

A funny thing about recipes over here is that the measurements are given in weight. Even butter. So, you really do need a digital kitchen scale to weigh everything out...except the butter weights are on the wrapper, just like they are in the US, but over there I believe 1/4 and 1/2 cup measurements are indicated. Or something like that.

I even made a small batch of colored buttercream frosting and my son got creative and added some decorative touches in addition to the sprinkling of powered sugar.

And yes, it takes a bit of time. And yes, it makes a bit of a mess. But we are doing something fun together and he is very proud that he makes the Easter dessert. We are making family traditions and happy memories.  I have to involve him a little more in cooking because he likes it. I would rather cook together in the kitchen than have him watching endless TV (which he doesn't really do anyway, but you know what I am trying to say). Yesterday he was at a friend's house to play  and he was so sad that all the kid wanted to do was take turns playing video games. For this past vacation week he went to a rock wall climbing class every day for 3 hours. He is happiest doing something!

And I am happy with my lovely bouquet of flowers!  Whether you celebrate Easter or not, I hope you had a nice day!




No comments: